Notices, agendas, and minutes of the Springfield Town Library are posted here in accordance with Vermont's Open Meeting Law. Meetings are open to the public. Every session includes time for public comment. The Trustees meet on the second Tuesday of each month at 6:30pm, on the second floor of the Springfield Town Library, at 43 Main Street in Springfield, Vermont.

For more information, call the Library at (802)885-3108 or e-mail stlib@vermontel.net

Monday, June 19, 2017

Town of Springfield
Library Board of Trustees   Minutes
Tuesday, June 13, 2017

1. The meeting was called to order at 6:32PM.
Present: Josephine Hingston, Richard Cofrancesco, Sandra Richardson, Matthew Pincus, Amy Howlett (director), Sara Druen, Barbara Ball (taking minutes).
Absent:  Herb Jamison



2.   Additions/ subtractions to the Agenda  N/A

3.   Public comments    None.

4.   Review and approve minutes from the May meeting
The minutes from our May meeting were approved with the minor correction that April minutes were the ones approved in May (not May minutes.) Also, a suggestion that numbers under ten be written out in the future. (Josie moved, Sandy seconded.)

5.   FOSTL liaison report   Amy attended. The Friends are in book sale mode. They are at the Armory Monday mornings 9-12 and Wednesday afternoons 4-7 sorting books. Most of the publicity for the sale is done. FOSTL pays $500/year for liability insurance. The book sale will be Friday, July 14, from 10-6 and Saturday, July 15, 8-4. Board members as able volunteered to sort books next Wednesday afternoon/evening, 6/21.

6.   Director’s report      Anyone interested in attending the NELA Diversity Summit on July 26th should let Amy know. Discussion of the Promises Community Grant Request for Proposal that Michelle and Amy are working on.  Discussion of Front Porch Forum as a venue for advertising library events. Also, library programs are now listed on Facebook as events. Matt recommended board members check Interested or Going and Share to boost event coverage.  

7. Policies      The Guidelines for Library Behavior policy was reviewed as well as sample guidelines from other libraries. Policies are posted on the town bulletin board downstairs.Motion passed to table discussion and revisit the Guidelines for Library Behavior policy and Collection Development policy at the September meeting (Matt proposed, Richard second.) Board members are encouraged to look over this policy and come to the August meeting with comments.

Brief discussion of Collection Development Policy:
- Amy stressed keeping the general principles of the Collection Development Policy.
- Membership in Catamount Library System should possibly be added.
- We may want to add something re e-books and self-publishing?

Motion passed that Collection Development be added to the September agenda and that members should review this before the meeting. (Josie motioned, Sarah second.)

Amy mentioned board members can go to the libraries.vermont.gov website and search for policies to get more insight/information into developing policies as well.
Amy updated Board on lost materials retrieval procedure. Discussion on report from collection agency.
What does age mean? What does DO mean? Amy will get back to the board on this. Amy reported that dropping the agency would have a financial impact, unless we changed staff practice. The Board will invite staffer Tammy Gould to the September meeting.

8. Review of Feed Your Passion
Comments included:
- It was wonderful! Nice mix of presenters.
- Annette Spaulding (the scuba diver) was engaging and passionate.
- Next year we will try to place presenters better, drop the back of the second floor.
- Food should be all in one place.
- Maybe more presenters in the Flinn room.
- Amy mentioned that when Riverside students came to the library, they had everyone over in the large print section. Maybe next FYP, we could try having more attendees back by the large print?
- 5:30-7 was maybe a little long. Would an hour be long enough? 6-7? Or earlier?
- Discussion on having it in a less busy month. April? March? November?
- Next year maybe have Springfield On the Move or a Select person to talk about what's happening now in Springfield as well as having the Springfield Historical Society.
- Portsmouth does a Learn 50 things event. The idea for this is that in a short time frame, participants can do yoga, martial arts, learn to count to ten in Mandarin, etc. Maybe we could do something like this or incorporate it into FYP? If we did this, the bearded dragon owner could possibly teach care of an exotic pet.
- Discussion of Apple Fest and how FOSTL sells books there. If we decided to move Feed Your Passion to November, we could have a booth at Apple Fest and advertise it there.
- If we actually wanted to do Feed Your Passion this November, the August meeting could be around planning it. Or we could do it a year from November. Or in the spring.
- Amy will look for information on Portsmouth PL’s event.

9. Executive Session   N/A

10. Next meeting date and adjournment  

Motion passed to work on the book sale next Wednesday in place of a July meeting. We'll resume regular meetings in August. (Sandy motioned, Josie second.)

Next meeting: Tuesday, August 8th, 6:30pm.

Motion to adjourn passed (Sarah motioned, Matt second.) 8:05pm.