Notices, agendas, and minutes of the Springfield Town Library are posted here in accordance with Vermont's Open Meeting Law. Meetings are open to the public. Every session includes time for public comment. The Trustees meet on the second Tuesday of each month at 6:30pm, on the second floor of the Springfield Town Library, at 43 Main Street in Springfield, Vermont.

For more information, call the Library at (802)885-3108 or e-mail stlib@vermontel.net

Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Town of Springfield
Library Board of Trustees
Tuesday, April 11, 2017

1. The meeting was called to order at 6:32PM.
Present: Josephine Hingston, Richard Cofrancesco, Matthew Pincus, Judith Edwards(via phone), Sandra Richardson, Amy Howlett (director), Herb Jamison, Sarah Druen, Barbara Ball (taking minutes).



2.   Additions/ subtractions to the Agenda: none.

3.   Public comments: none.

4.   Review and approve minutes from the March meeting
Judy would like a revision of the Feed Your Passion discussion. It inaccurately said she had written 2 books. She has written 15. A motion was made to change the number of history books that she has written to 15. With this change, minutes are approved. (Judy motioned, Sarah seconded.)

5.   FOSTL liaison report
Amy and Sarah reported that the FOSTL annual meeting was a big success with over 50 people in attendance.

6.   Director’s report
The town of Springfield is experiencing a temporary spending freeze, with essential purchases only.

Group reviewed “Guidelines for Library Behavior.” Trustees wondered about the prohibition on
  • Groups of no more than 3 people, considering informal study groups, mothers and their children. Amy said if the point is unruly or noisy behavior, staff address that issue.
  • No Eating or Drinking except in designated areas: this policy is not enforced. Discussion of foods in the library and allergies, especially peanut allergies. Youth services is careful not to offer any peanuts.
  • Proper Attire: too vague. Can this be more accurately stated?
  • No Unsupervised Young Children : Amy will report on the age for unattended children.

Follow-up and General Guidelines Discussion
Amy will look at other library behavior guidelines for suggestions. Trustees are encouraged to research and review. We should keep the format, beginning with positive purposes. Should a revision depart from passive voice? Schedule further discussion at a later board meeting.

Discussion on the use of a collection agency. The process is that, once a book is overdue, the patron receives an email. This would be followed up in months 2 and 3 with written letters. After month 3, the debt would be turned over to a collection agency and a fee of $10 is applied to the patron's record. Discussion that staff at the front desk are able to override all charges, however they are asked not to override the $10 fee.

Discussion on the complicated issue of not wanting to wreck someone's credit score balanced with the library having a responsibility to the tax payers who are financing library material purchases.

The group asked Amy to report at the June meeting on the economic impact of the agency, of writing off losses and on overall referrals and success rate.

7.   Policy review: collection development: postponed until the June meeting.

8.   Feed Your Passion planning
Matt – doesn't have time to contact 56 Main St and Sub-Way. Sarah will take this over. Matt will get the advertisement onto SAPA TV.

Sarah
will contact 56 Main and Sub-Way.
- The Garden Club is confirmed. By May, they'll have a new president, but Deanna will be here presenting. She'll bring info and applications.
- The movie theater said that it was contractually impossible for them to do anything. They're only allowed to play certain movies at certain times.
- Christian Craig will be here with the Smoothie Bike. He's requested a different location in the library from last year.
- Sarah has been calling back and forth with Mona Frye, but they haven't connected yet. It seems hopeful that she'll do something. A question was raised on if she could she do something on the sidewalk out front if the weather is nice?
- Zinny will bring her dragon.
- Kirsten didn't think Eva would like to do cakes.
- Herb, Josie and Sarah contacted Black River Produce and the Hartness House. Black River Produce will donate delicious sausages!
Hartness House will cook them!
WCFR – Sarah has outreached to the director with no response yet.

Sandy
– Wendi Germain is excited to participate.
- Sandy tried to contact Clever Cow Designs but hasn't heard back. She will try to contact them again tomorrow.
- Has been trying to connect with Riverside Restaurant. She's going there for breakfast this week and hopes to connect then.

Josie
– Dark Mountain Games will be here.
- She hasn't heard back yet from the Steampunk Festival folks.
- Trout River can't be here. No alcohol per the town manager. Although maybe the owner, Kelen Beardsley, could come and just talk about brewing?
- Hasn't talked to Shanghai Gardens yet because the owner went to Taiwan, however hopes to connect with her soon.
- Josie re-wrote the press release and will email it to Amy.

Rich
– Hasn't had luck reaching the scuba diver yet.
- He's working on contacting Eliot Thompson re the film.
- Diane will present on the History of Calvin Coolidge.
- Dennis Rydjeski and the Sierra Club will be here.
- Still needs to contact 371 but is hopeful they will do one large party pizza, cut into smaller pieces.
- Rich got no response from John Sinclair. It seems he's not interested in presenting again.

Amy
- Steve Matush feels the band will be there. (Although Barbara Matush thought there might be a conflict?)
- Amy will write to Rick Hunter to see if Stellafane can be here.
- The knitting group is excited to be here and to do something with the kids as well.

Judy
– Sherri's and the Co-op are happy to donate.
- Judy still needs to contact the Heritage Wildlife Festival and Herrick's Cove presenters.

Additional Follow-up/Comments:
Matt mentioned that he got an email that the library is doing Stop Motion next Friday. Could we have them come to Feed Your Passion? Amy will check with SAPA TV.

The Police Department will need to be contacted at least 10 days in advance to put the event on their light board.

Was there info sent to parents last year? Could we get Feed Your Passion onto the schools' announcements? Michelle would be a good contact for that.

9.   Executive session if needed: none.

10.  Next meeting date and adjournment
Meeting adjourned at 8:05pm. (Sandy motioned, Sarah seconded.)
Next meeting: Tuesday, May 9th, 6:30PM.