Notices, agendas, and minutes of the Springfield Town Library are posted here in accordance with Vermont's Open Meeting Law. Meetings are open to the public. Every session includes time for public comment. The Trustees meet on the second Tuesday of each month at 6:30pm, on the second floor of the Springfield Town Library, at 43 Main Street in Springfield, Vermont.

For more information, call the Library at (802)885-3108 or e-mail stlib@vermontel.net

Thursday, March 23, 2017

Town of Springfield
Library Board of Trustees
Tuesday, March 21, 2017

1. With no chair or vice chair present, Amy Howlett called the meeting to order at 6:32PM.
Present: Josephine Hingston, Richard Cofrancesco, Judith Edwards, Sandra Richardson, Amy Howlett (director), Herb Jamison, Sara Druen, Barbara Ball (taking minutes).

Absent: Matthew Pincus  




1. Organizational Meeting
After a general discussion of Board roles and responsibilities, Amy called for nominations for Chair.
Sandy nominated Josie for Chair. Herb seconded. Vote passed unanimously.
Josie nominated Sandy for vice-chair. Second by Sandy. Passed unanimously.
Board agreed that FOSTL Liaison will continue as a revolving appointment. (Different board members volunteer to attend different FOSTL meetings.)
Board agreed that meetings will continue to take place on the 2nd Tuesday of the month at 6:30pm.
Board agreed to continue using Robert's Rules for small boards. It has worked well for us.
Board evaluation – Discussion re the Trustee Evaluate Yourself form. Josie has this and some other forms that have been used in the past. These include questions for board members such as basic knowledge regarding the library. The evaluation is usually done annually.

Policy Review
Amy brought the 2014 Springfield Town Library collection development policy and “Citizen's Request for Reconsideration of a Work” form to the meeting and briefed board members on the collection development policy.
Discussion on what would happen if there was a challenge to an item in the collection. Amy brought samples of books that have been challenged in different libraries. If there is ever a challenge here, library staff have been trained to call Amy or Michelle. They will sit down in private and try to help the challenger understand that any parent is in charge of what their child reads. In a sense, all library resources are “PG”. However, the library will not tell any parent that children everywhere cannot read a book.
If a challenge is ever brought, this board would be the jury. The board's job would be to read the collection development policy, retrieve and read reviews of the book, look at the citizen's request, and consider the book under these guidelines. If the challenger persists, they will be asked to fill out the “Request for Reconsideration” form.
Board members read and discussed the Library Bill of Rights, specifically mentioned in the collection development policy.

Discussion that parents have access to their child's library card and what the child has checked out until they turn 16. This is Vermont law. When a child turns 16, what they read is their business.

Board members are asked to review the collection development policy and the “Request for Reconsideration” form before the next meeting and take note of any suggested changes.
At the April meeting, the board can revise these documents if needed, give the documents a current date, and thus they will be revised.
Amy will bring other policies to the board in the future for review.
Next time, she'd like to have the board review the Computer Use and Viewing policies.
Brief discussion on this policy. The problem is that if someone walks through the vestibule and looks to the left, they can see the computer screens. Amy's pointed out that the Board sets the policy, and staff carry it out. Ideally, individuals would have privacy when they look at the Internet. Staff are discussing checking out laptops for use around the library. Using study carrels and screen protectors was also mentioned; screen protectors were tried and users disliked them.
Discussion that computer users have to scroll through a long warning about the dangers of public wifi and check “yes” before they can use library wifi. Amy will bring the text of this warning to the next meeting.
The library is talking about buying inexpensive thumb drives so computer users can save their work.
Discussion that library computers have DeepFreeze installed so that after each use they are “wiped clean” of any personal data or viruses.

2.   Additions/ subtractions to the Agenda
None.

3.   Public comments
None.

4.   Review and approve minutes from the February meeting
February's minutes were reviewed and approved as written. (Sandy moved. Richard seconded.)

Trustee Website.
Board members were reminded to check out the trustee page on the Springfield Library website and give suggestions for changes.
Board was asked if they would like to have a group email address on the library website so patrons can write to them. Judy voiced being against a group email. Board meetings are warned. People know how to find the Board. Board agreed to keep things as they are for now. Board members prefer a listing without emails or phone numbers.
Amy will propose some language and can put up a paragraph for the website on when meetings are held and how to get in touch with trustees. The public can call or email the Library.
Updates from the last meeting: The American flag has been replaced.
Amy will post a Facebook call for Feed Your Passion performers from Springfield.


5.   FOSTL liaison report 
FOST’s March meeting was the final one before their annual meeting, Wednesday, April 5 at 6:30 pm. FOSTL proposed a generous budget for the library, which will be included in the Annual Meeting packet. All are welcome at the FOSTL Annual Meeting. FOSTL is a private nonprofit not covered by the open meeting law. Josie asked if the FOSTL liaison next month could maybe drum up support from them for Feed your Passion. For instance, perhaps FOSTL could contribute food.

6.   Director’s report
If you have any items or issues for the agenda, let Amy or Josie know.
Discussion on building repairs such as boiler, children's room ceiling, and lighting project. If any board member wants to volunteer to help with building issues, please let Amy know.
All Springfield Town Employees get a free library card. The library charges nonresidents $50. Teachers have a special card so are exempt from $50.

Michelle Stinson has completed her first 6 months as youth services librarian.
Amy invited board members to meet the staff.

Discussion of who (or what organization/company) might be willing to donate a defibrillator to the library. Email Amy if you have thoughts.

Amy is working on the FOSTL 501C3 status. Springfield Attorney Chris Callahan has agreed to represent the library. Amy will send an email to Tom McMurdo at the Vermont Department of Libraries to have trustees' emails added to the VT trustee listserv.

The new microfilm reader and computer arrived and staff are learning how to use it. FOSTL purchased this equipment. The new set up will print wirelessly to printers at the front desk. Users can save work on a thumb drive, send scans, email attached files. We anticipate FOSTL selling the old microfilm readers on E-Bay.

7.   Feed Your Passion planning
Feed Your Passion is scheduled for Wednesday, May 17th from 5-7pm.
Discussion re sending Save the Date reminders to potential presenters.
Last year there were about 19 presenters positioned throughout the library so attendees could get a taste of everything. There's food and music.

Potential Feed Your Passion Presenters:
Judy would like to do a “How Young People Learn About History” presentation. She has 2 history books and has story boards for display.

Amy will send Steve Matush a save the date for the band.

Richard will contact:
- Dennis Rydjeski with the VT Sierra Club. He'll set up a booth. Also Eliot Thompson was going to present on film making last year. Maybe he'll present this year?
- A scuba diver he met who has done a lot of work in the Connecticut River.

Sara will contact:
- Christian re the smoothie bicycle
- Deeana Dexter of the Garden Club.
- WCFR. Will the radio station do something? Also, Amy wondered if they might want to do a teen event at some point, etc.
- Mona Frye at the Art Gym.
- Kirsten to see if she'll check with the movie theater regarding doing a book-related movie after Feed Your Passion.

Josie will contact:
- Kevin at Dark Mountain Games.
- Eva re cake decorating.
- Gabe. Is he a bartender? Or does he know a bartender who might be willing to serve if the library does serve beer/wine at the event?
- Robin from Steampunk

Judy will contact:
- Someone re the Heritage Wildlife Festival and Herrick's Cove presenters.
- Sherri's to let them know we'll have the board meeting there next month, 4/11 at 6:30PM.

Amy will contact:
- Rick Hunter at Stellafane.
- Yarning for a Cause. Maybe they could do something for kids as well as adults?

Could a Trout River tasting be part of the festival? Amy needs to ask the Selectboard about this.

Sandy will contact:
- Wendi Germain re Zentangle.
- Kathy or Conrad at Clever Cow Designs to see if they could do trustee t-shirts.


Richard will contact:
- John Sinclair re Choose a Dentist.

Other thoughts mentioned for Feed Your Passion:
- Anime Club from the high school?
- Tai Chi? Yoga?

Restaurants Who Can Hopefully Donate Food, Etc.
A discussion that hopefully the restaurants can bring the donations to the library, but if not, we can probably figure out a way to pick things up. We should encourage finger foods since there will be a large number of FYP attendees. 
Restaurants should all be contacted within the next 10 days.

Discussion that the next Board meeting will be  at Sherri's on 4/11.  6:30. Amy will check with Tom to make sure this is okay.

Restaurants to be contacted and who will do the contacting:
Co-op - Judy
371 - Rich
Hartness House - Sara
Shanghai Garden - Josie
56 Main – Matt
Sherri's Place  - Judy
Perkins Deli - Matt
Riverside Restaurant- Sandy
Black River Produce - Herb
Sub-Way - Matt
Josie will let Matt know what he has been volunteered for.

Friends brought some food last year. Hopefully will this year as well.
Trustees can bring crackers, cheese, punch, cups.
Attendees should be encouraged to bring their own plates/cups!

T-Shirts
A discussion that t-shirts would be nice to identify board members. Clever Cow Designs is a new T-shirt store located underneath Dark Mountain Games. Maybe they'd be willing to donate some work.  Sandy will contact Kathy or Conrad at Clever Cow Designs.
We are looking for generic Trustee shirts. Amy showed trustees the 2 STL logos. Ideally, shirts would be printed on the back. Trustees can then wear nametags on the front.

8.   Executive session if needed
N/A

9.  Next meeting date and adjournment
The next meeting will be on Tuesday, April 11th at 6:30PM at Sherri's Restaurant (to support one of our Feed Your Passion donors) as long as Amy gets the okay for this.



Meeting adjourned at 8:32PM Motion by Sara. Second Judy.