Notices, agendas, and minutes of the Springfield Town Library are posted here in accordance with Vermont's Open Meeting Law. Meetings are open to the public. Every session includes time for public comment. The Trustees meet on the second Tuesday of each month at 6:30pm, on the second floor of the Springfield Town Library, at 43 Main Street in Springfield, Vermont.

For more information, call the Library at (802)885-3108 or e-mail

Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Notice -- November 10, 2014 Library Board of Trustees Meeting

The Springfield Town Library Board of Trustees will meet on Monday, November 10, 2014 at 6:30 pm in the Library, 43 Main Street, Springfield.

Agenda -- October 13, 2014 Meeting



October 13, 2014

6:30 pm


1.   Additions to the Agenda

2.   Public Comments

3.   Minutes from August 11, 2014 Meeting

4.   Old Business
      Geek the Library
      Springfield Town Library Resources Brainstorming Activity

5.   FOSTL Liaison Report

6.   Director’s Report

7.   New Business
      FY2015-2016 Budget Discussion

8.   Next Meeting Date and Adjournment

Minutes -- October 13, 2014 Meeting

Town of Springfield
Library Board of Trustees
October 13, 2014

Present:  Trustees Patricia Magrosky, Sandra Richardson, Kevin Coen (Chair), Steve Matush, Kerstin Burlingame, and Library Director Russ Moore. Meeting was called to order at 6:38 pm.
Public Comments: The new Town Manager was announced. Tom Yennerell will start on November 17, 2014. Bob Forguites will work with the new Town Manager for a while.

Additions to Agenda: Steve suggested changing the day of a trustees’ meeting to a possible Tuesday to invite the new Town Manager for a sit-down with trustees. (A Tuesday would enable the Town Manager to attend the select board meeting on Monday as usual.)

Minutes from August 11, 2014: Change “adaptation” in the last sentence in the Emergency Response Plan paragraph to “adoption.”  Sandra moved to accept minutes as amended. Pat seconded. The Board accepted the minutes unanimously.
New Business:  Pat and Kevin presented a very thorough and interesting “Geek the Library” campaign. Pat created binders with information, suggestions, and a marketing template to help guide the board. Each trustee’s “homework” is to brainstorm three community members (even local “celebs” around town) to participate. Russ thought “Geek the Library” will tie in well with the Edge Initiative and other things currently unfolding.
FOSTL Report: The Library Open House (Holiday Party) will take place on Friday, December 12, starting at 5:30. They would appreciate help decorating the library for the holidays on December 2, Tuesday, at 10:00. They are actively seeking donors for the holiday gift baskets that are raffled at the party and would like those donors locked in by November 1st. Pat suggested the trustees create a raffle basket themselves (because she has such awesome ideas!) and the board concurred. Each member picked different items to donate to the food-themed basket. Kerstin will email FOSTL with items that will be donated. Kevin suggested mentioning to FOSTL Michael Nethercotts, Vermont author, for a featured speaker at their annual meeting in April. Bunni wrote a play that will be performed in Spring at the Unitarian Church as a fundraiser for the Art and Historical Society.
Director’s Report:  Russ reported programs for kids, young adults and adults are back after a break last month and circulation is trending up again. Cheryl hosted a successful Children’s Literary Festival on September 27. She may do it later in the Fall next year, possibly in early November. Cheryl attended the Association for Rural and Small Libraries in Tacoma, WA. Shelly Sechrest and Ethan VanGulden were hired as the new pages. Bob Wilkinson finished his assignment with the Library on October 9th. The Library celebrated Patron Appreciation week September 15-21. On Monday, October 27, the Library staff will hold its annual Volunteer Appreciation luncheon. The Catamount Library Network is expanding: the number in the consortium is now eight; another five have expressed interest in joining.
Budget: Budgets need to be in by November 17, 2014 when the new Town Manager starts. Pat suggested adding more funding to maintenance of the building. Russ said he would like more money to not only go there, but to library materials as well. No additional staff hours will be requested. Two maintenance items that are not currently funded are bat remediation and security lights for the back of the library. Russ thinks the bat remediation work is more important to attend to first before the security lights will be addressed in the FY2016 budget. Russ is looking for a funding source for the bat remediation work currently.
Next Meeting Date and Adjournment: November 10, 2014 at 6:30. Kevin adjourned the meeting at 8:14 pm.

Respectfully submitted by Kerstin Burlingame