Notices, agendas, and minutes of the Springfield Town Library are posted here in accordance with Vermont's Open Meeting Law. Meetings are open to the public. Every session includes time for public comment. The Trustees meet on the second Tuesday of each month at 6:30pm, on the second floor of the Springfield Town Library, at 43 Main Street in Springfield, Vermont.

For more information, call the Library at (802)885-3108 or e-mail stlib@vermontel.net

Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Director's report, June 12, 2018


Director’s Report    Tuesday 6/12/18

Vision: Springfield Town Library: a community hub for growth, connection, and discovery.

Mission: The Springfield Town Library serves as the heart of our town. We connect people, ideas, and endeavors of all kinds. Together, we honor our heritage and embrace the future. We transform lives.

Updates, Promise Community Grant
·         Carpet and family room construction almost complete
·         Some surprises: open lath and bricks behind 8’ shelves; stained plywood; $800 change order
·         Required wired in smoke detectors for director office and family room; $1100 added on to work upgrading ADA elevator signals (Mike Blais, Countryside Lock and Alarm)
·         Phone, live feed for video and old plumbing connectors under shelves
·         Shelving, seating, expected late June – mid July; bath tub stored; oak tables and chairs back
·         Sold wall shelves; sold or gave away central units, rolltop desk; minimal impact on revenue
·         Favorable feedback on color, carpet; people relatively calm about noise, dislocation
·         Hasn’t kept people away—business is good
·         Shelving project, moving adult nonfiction to provide unit for Flinn Room and accommodate extra seating upstairs; also conscious reshaping nonfiction to match use; the end is in sight
·         Anticipating major weeding in the children’s room once shelving is in
·         New parks and museum passes page— Talk it up! New pass purchases planned

Programs and staffing
·         New staff, Virginia Thulen, front line; Molly McAllister, returning
·         Tech Time with student done and Dave Bryant stepping in; suggest appointments
·         Application for Vermont Reads Bread and Roses, Too has been submitted; will run collaboratively with UU discussion at Tree Farm Campground this summer
·         Like Brown Girl Dreaming, strong Riverside component; Springfield labor history
·         New book group, one Thursday/month 5:30, going strong; laughter and shared challenges
·         Grafton Nature Museum, Tuesdays, 2 pm; birds, bees, owls, strong themes for kids

Financial
·         Library has joined New England funding group, MHEC; hoping to retain favorable Baker and Taylor relationship after July 1 (leasing contract and regular orders); offers town discounts
·         Board spending report planned for July; working hard to tie up the current fiscal year

FOSTL updates
·         Two armchairs: slipcovers by Farmhouse Fashions, Carroll Veltrop helping with fabric
·         Upholstery solution for bath tub, Dick Hurd coming in
·         AED mounted in the lobby last week; planning press
·         Book sale preparation in high gear; sorting Mondays and Thursdays 9 – noon
·         Volunteers, get in touch with Warren Cross
·         Dates this year: Friday, July 13 (10 – 6) and Saturday, July 14 (8 – 4)

Trustee minutes, June 12, 2018


Town of Springfield
Library Board of Trustees
Tuesday, June 12, 2018

Attending: Sara Allen Druen, Herb Jamison, Amy Howlett, Margie Reurink, Richard Cofrancesco, Jen Dechen, Matthew Pincus. Absent: Barbara Ball.
1.      Herb called the meeting to order at 6:30PM. Margie offered to take minutes.

2.    Additions/subtractions to the Agenda: none
3.    Public comments: No one present for public comment.
4.    Minutes of May 8 meeting: approved by Board of Trustees. 

5.    Library policy regarding weapons: the board began discussing policy regarding weapons within the library. Amy cited research showing the library isn’t one of the locations allowed to limit guns. Board talked about keeping the library both safe and comfortable to patrons. Matthew Pincus moved to strike the weapon rule from the behavior policy. Sara seconded the motion. The motion passed. The board will continue to review this policy.

6.    Strategic Plan Review: Amy continues to work on the plan. She passed out the Norwich Strategic Plan as an example. Amy hopes to have something together for the next meeting. Jen volunteered to help with the writing.

7.    FOSTL report: Amy gave many updates on the upholstery solution for the bath tub, AED mounted in the lobby, Book sale on for Friday, July 13th and Saturday, July 14th.

8.    Director’s report (attached) included Promise Community Grant Review- Family room construction almost complete and the children’s room is coming together as well. Children and people are responding well to the carpet, paint, etc. and the library seems to be doing well in regard to people using it. Some overages due to construction that will need to come out of the budget.  Some new staff has been hired. New programs starting up: new book group and Grafton Nature Museum for the summer, Tuesdays at 2PM. Amy will present a financial report next month.
9.    Next meeting: August 14th at 6:30.
Matt moved to adjourn the meeting at 7:45 after the trustees walked through the family room and the children’s room. Sara seconded the motion.

Monday, June 4, 2018

Trustee agenda, June 12, 2018


                           TOWN OF SPRINGFIELD
                        LIBRARY BOARD OF TRUSTEES
                             TUESDAY, JUNE 12, 2018
                            6:30 pm at the Library
  
                                      AGENDA

     1.      Call to order
2.    Additions/subtractions to the Agenda
3.    Public comments
4.    Minutes of May 8 meeting      
5.    Library policy regarding weapons
6.    Strategic Plan Review
7.    FOSTL report
8.    Director’s report
9.    Next meeting, July 10 or August 14?


Herb J.       6/4/18

Thursday, May 10, 2018

Trustee minutes, May 8, 2018


Town of Springfield
Library Board of Trustees
Tuesday, May 8th, 2018

1. The meeting was called to order at 6:30PM.
Present: Jen Dechen, Herb Jamison, Richard CoFrancesco, Sara Druen, Matthew Pincus, Justin Dechen, Amy Howlett (director), Barbara Ball (minutes). 
Absent: Margie Reurink



2. Additions/ subtractions to the Agenda
N/A

3.   Public comments
N/A

4.   Review and approve minutes from the March meeting
Motion to pass the April minutes as written. (Sara motioned, Richard second.)
5. Further discussion of the Library Behavior Policy
Amy shared a document she compiled, entitled “Research on Weapons Issues in Vermont Public Libraries.”
Amy reported to the Board that, according to her research, it is not legal in Vermont for library boards to set a no-weapons policy. Towns cannot directly regulate the carrying of firearms.
Amy spoke with Lara Keenan, Vermont Department of Libraries Consultant. Some municipalities are exploring if they can regulate firearms, but no town has done it yet in Vermont to her knowledge.
The information that Amy gathered shows that even if municipalities banned weapons, the state law would overrule this.
Discussion on how our current policy is not enforceable and could leave the library open to a lawsuit.
Board talked about different options relating to this.
Motion passed to leave the current policy as it is for now but to take the sign down from the front door. Discussion can be continued at a later time as necessary. (Matt motion, Second Sara.)

Amy mentioned that a parent had called the Vermont Department of Libraries to see if supervised visitation is allowed to take place at the Springfield Town Library.
This parent was encouraged to come to the board meeting to express her concerns, but was not present tonight.
One of the parent's concerns was HCRS or the VT Department of Children and Families “doing business” at the library.
Discussion that many people use the library for business, i.e. writers working here, salespeople, etc.
Discussion that the family room, when completed, may be a way to alleviate this parent's discomfort, although the family room won't be a “mandated” place for visitation. Families can still visit in the children's room or wherever they are comfortable.
Discussion that the library tries to be welcoming to everyone.
Amy asked that if anyone hears patrons complaining about visitation (or other issues), they should be encouraged to go to Michelle or Amy. Then any policy issues can be brought to the Board.

6.   FOSTL report:
The Killington Library gave FOSTL everything they had related to their Sip and Spell event, so hopefully this will give FOSTL a boost in planning a fun, successful event.

7. Report of Regional Training at Brooks Memorial Library 4/28/18
Herb felt the training was well-organized and well-run but had too many participants. Jen agreed that it was a quality program.

8.   Director’s report
A board member questioned why some library staff are taking a Photoshop class. Amy said one reason is that Photoshop is installed on the library's new microfiche computer. Once this computer is available for patron use, it would be helpful to have staff knowledgeable about the program.
Discussion on the policies on the library website. Amy said she will work to give the Board any references made in the appendices.
Motion passed to confirm library policies as currently listed on the website and authorize Amy Howlett to find and update anything referenced by the appropriate appendices. (Motion: Herb, Jen second.)

Children's Room Re-Vamp
All current shelves and items have to be out of the children's room by May 21st when construction starts.
Discussion relating to the excess shelving that will be discarded from the children's room. (The library also has excess shelving stored in the furnace room and at the police department.) The current plan is for all shelving to be sold to the highest bidder by closed bid.
Board members felt that if shelves are divied up and sold separately, the pool of potential buyers would be bigger and the library could get more money from the sale. That this could bring in “sentimental money,” i.e., “I grew up taking books off these shelves, and now I own them....”
Perhaps the shelves could be listed on Craigslist? Matt and Sara have experience buying and selling on Craigslist. Amy may consult with them.
Amy will list the shelves on the library listserv and the school listserv.
Selling furniture won't happen until after the project is completed.
Decisions on carpet and some colors and furniture have been made. For wall color, there are some swatches painted on the walls for people to compare and “vote” on their preference.
Amy mentioned that they are still looking for decorative elements in the children's room that would evoke trees.
9. Executive session if needed
N/A.
10. Next meeting date: Tuesday, June 12th, 6:30PM
Board members agreed to go paperless for the next meeting. Amy will have a projector screen present listing the agenda.
11. Adjournment: Motion to adjourn passed (Sara motioned, Barbara second.) 7:52pm.